Every place has just that certain special comfort food that will always cure what ails you. In this case especially if what ails you is a hangover…
Chicken Souse is often served in the morning, after a night out on the town. Regardless of when- or why- you make it, you’ll be pleased with the results. Comforting, super flavorful and easy to prepare, it’s food to make your soul happy.
Adapted from a recipe at http://bahamamamakitchen.com/2012/02/02/bahamian-chicken-souse-recipe/
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh lime juice (takes about six to eight large limes. Good quality bottled is ok, too)
- 1 habanero, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tbsp whole allspice
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 large potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- Extra lime slices for serving
- Place chicken in large enough dish that each piece has its own space.
- Mix lime, salts, hot peppers, black pepper, all spice and bay leaves. Pour over chicken. Marinate for at least an hour, preferably two.
- Transfer all ingredients to a large stock pot and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking at least 30 minutes, or until meat falls off the bone & potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve with lime slices and warm, buttered Johnny Cake on the side
- Note: don’t eat the allspice!
Adapted from a recipe at http://bahamamamakitchen.com/2012/06/25/bahamian-johnny-cake-recipe/
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar (can add more, less or even omit)
- 3 tsp oil ( I used a standard vegetable oil)
- 1 cup milk or water
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients together,
- Add oil and milk (or water). Knead together gently, taking care not to over-mix. Dough will be on the sticky side.
- Place dough in greased 8 inch baking dish
- Let sit for 30 minutes, covered with a clean towel.
- Put in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown.